Phil Davis’ long-awaited third effort has finally arrived!! If you are a fan of Phil’s work, you will recognize and appreciate that this CD takes you further along his musical journey, and features a more mature sound. The collective tracks have a calming, settled vibe, with the occasional “rev up and dig in” quality that is Phil’s signature. This CD features several of Phil’s long-time friends and colleagues, like Najee and Lil John Roberts. Other featured musicians are: Billy Odum, Kebbi Williams, Ronnie Garrett, Melvin Baldwin, Sean Michael Ray, Rick Jordan, Darrell Freeman, Melvin Miller, Mark Strowbridge and Forrest Robinson. Enjoy the journey as Phil blends “tickling the ivories” with very colorful synth sounds and textures, plus the sound of the SY77 that is classic Phil Davis.
This body of work is dedicated to everyone who knows someone who always has a philosophy on life. As I get older, I find myself quoting these phrases that hopefully invoke thought, another perspective, or an optimistic view on how to look at things. Some of which are:
1. The Main thing is to keep the main thing, the main thing.
2. If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
3. Get Your Gear Up.
4. On time is late, early is on time.
5. Where there's a will, there's a way.
6. If it Ain't right, it's wrong!
7. Measure twice, cut once.
8. The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.
9. Doubt is the father of invention. Galileo
10. Every man and woman is born into the world to do something unique and something distinctive and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done.
Benjamin E. Mays
11. I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed.
Booker T. Washington
I hope this challenges you to , be larger, think farther and reach higher.
About Phil Davis
Phil Davis is an accomplished producer, keyboardist and songwriter that has worked with many local, regional and national artists. He contributes his musical monologues in his “conversation” solos to the likes of Herbie Hancock, George Duke and Joe Sample. He has had the pleasure of performing with Sheila E., Will Downing, Stanley Clarke, George Duke, Rachelle Ferrell, Prince, Alex Bugnon, Boney James, Michael McDonald, Philip Bailey, Dionne Farris, Bone Crusher, Cee-Lo, and Erykah Badu. Phil has also performed with Jennifer Holiday, the late George Howard, Johnathan Butler and a host of others.
Some additional credits and accolades include: producing one track on Najee's "Rising Sun" CD, producing Alex Bugnon’s last two CD’s, “Free” and “Southern Living”, producing 3 songs on Walter Beasley's CD, "Ready For Love", being the Musical Director for "That Comedy Show" on Turner South, song producer for "Star Search" on CBS for 2 years. He also wrote the title track on Boney James' “Body Language” and “Pure” as well as the writer & performer on the new Boney James & Rick Braun CD, "Shake It Up". Phil also served as the writer & producer of two tracks on the late George Howards' album, "Midnight Mood", writer of two tracks on Alex Bugnon's "As Promise", and the producer and performer of three tracks of Al Jarreau's latest CD "Tomorrow Today".