Fifteen of Rainbow Puppet's favorite animal songs have been brought together for this compilation... "Rainbow's Creatures Great and Small."
During the course of the program, you'll hear all types of singing styles including "The Fish," a group of neon colored fish singing in the style of the Beach Boys; an Elvis-inspired Blue Crab singing "I'm So Blue;" and a full-sized blue heron singing and dancing to a big-band style tune.
The show features original animal songs written by David Messick, an award winning author who has created many touring children's musicals including the long running "Amazing Adventures of Chessie the Manatee" and "Noah's Floating Zoo."
The voices were created by many Rainbow veterans. Tim Tharrington sings some of the show's most memorable songs including "I'm So Blue," performed by Crabis the Blue Crab. He sings the tongue-twisting "Animal Parade Song" and concludes the show singing "The Dinosaur Hop." He was Hansel in Rainbow's 1980 tour of "Hansel and Gretel" as well as a principal countless other Rainbow shows.
Wife and husband team Chris and Don Bartlett provide voices for a singing owl and a vain dinosaur. Lisa Ryan is the musical director. Steve Scheffler provides the voice to Farley the Fiddler Crab.
CHARACTERS AND SONGS ON THIS RECORDING:
1. GET UP, GOOD MORNING from "Jack and the Beanstalk" and "The Mother Goose Traveling Rock and Roll Show" Chorus
2. OPEN YOUR EYES from "Wide Eyed Wanda's Wondrous Wetland Review" Chris Bartett as Wanda the Barred Owl
3. COME ON DOWN TO MY PLACE from "Wide Eyed Wanda's Wondrous Wetland Review" Tim Tharrington as Bert the Great Blue Heron
4. ANYWHERE WE WANNA GO from "The Really Big Dinosaur Show" David Messick, Steve Scheffler, and Tim Tharrington as the Fish
5. I'M SO BLUE from "The Amazing Adventures of Chessie the Manatee" Tim Tharrington as Crabis the Blue Crab
6. THE FIDDLER CRAB SONG from "Wide Eyed Wanda's Wondrous Wetland Review" Steve Scheffler as Farley the Fiddler Crab
7. THERE ARE TWO MOONS OUT TONIGHT from "The Amazing Adventures of Chessie the Manatee" Tim Tharrington as Crabis the Blue Crab
8. I'M SEEMORE, THE SEAGULL from "The Amazing Adventures of Chessie the Manatee" David Messick as Seemore the Seagull
9. DRIP, DROP from "Noah's Floating Zoo" Kenny D'Auria as the Raindrops, Tab Warwick as the Drip Drops
10. NOAH'S GOT A FLOATING ZOO from "Noah's Floating Zoo" David Messick as Bub and Frank Mailander as Bud
11. THE ANIMAL PARADE from "Noah's Floating Zoo" Tim Tharrington as Dad the Dalmatian
12. I'M A ROCK from "The Really Big Dinosaur Show" Tim Tharrington as The Mountain
13. TOOT MY OWN HORN from "The Really Big Dinosaur Show" Don Bartlett as Pierre the Parasaurolophus.
14. THE DINOSAUR HOP from "The Really Big Dinosaur Show" Tim Tharrington as The Mountain
15. SO LONG FRIEND from "The Amazing Adventures of Chessie the Manatee" Kenny D'Auria as Chessie the Manatee, David Messick as Seemore the Seagull
Dedicated to the memory of our good friend and puppet-maker Helen Spaetzel ("The Puppet Lady from Hampton")
All music arranged, engineered, and performed by David Messick, Steve Scheffler and Tab Warwick
Music Director - Lisa Ryan. Additional voices include Kathie Davis, Stephanie Messick; Richard Ryan, Tyler Ryan; and Jason Wiedel
Cover designed by Jason Wiedel
A special thanks to all of the artists who have contributed their time and skills to our programs.
Fiona Andrews, Chris Frank, Jill Harrington, Laura Huff, Frank Lakus, and Helen Spaetzel
Rainbow Puppeteers include Mel T. Brooks, Kathie Davis, Laura Huff, David and Marcy Messick, David Messick, Sr., Regina Smith, Judy Silvis, and Jason Wiedel
Member Puppeteers of America and the Puppet Arts Center of Virginia
About the writer / composer:
David is the founder of Rainbow Productions, Inc. He created the company's very first production, "Jack and the Beanstalk," in 1977. The show was part of the Charles Taylor Library summer reading program. Since that time, he has created or directed many other programs for the company including "The Really Big Dinosaur Show," and "Babes in Toyland" featuring a cast of over 100, making it one of the largest touring shows created in the state.
His original musical, "The Amazing Adventures of Chessie the Manatee" was the first collaboration between Rainbow, the Virginia Marine Science Museum, and Young Audiences of Virginia. The show has been the company's most requested program to date. It was featured at the state's annual PTA convention the year it premiered.
David was chosen to work at the International Festival of Theater for Young Audiences at the New Orleans World's Fair. There he assisted in Jim Henson's presentation of rare Italian puppets.
David has created character voices for Chuck E. Cheese television commercials. He has worked on development projects for the Disney Channel, Paramount Pictures, and other television producers.
For over 15 years, he has taught advanced tap dancing technique. Yearly, his students win top awards at national conventions.
A sought after teacher of performing skills, he was chosen to present at the 2001 Puppeteers of America festival in Tampa. His workshop, "Entertain First" explains his successful marriage of arts and science in the creation of touring puppetry program. His original musical, "Noah's Floating Zoo" has been selected as a principal performance at the 2001 FCP National Puppetry Convention near Chicago.
His most recent productions are "Jonah" which takes the entire audience into the belly of the whale and the Wright Brothers which covers the two from childhood to the first powered flight in 1903.
Your purchase of this recording supports the non-profit activities of Rainbow Productions, Inc.