This is an EP of big band and western swing tunes, played Texas style by a combo of Austin musicians: Rose Sinclair (non-pedal steel guitar), Rob Harding (hollow-body electric guitar), David Carroll (upright bass) and Ron Erwin (drums). Recorded at Jake Langley's Chicken Shack studio in Austin, TX.
1. A Smooth One -- We loved Texan jazz guitarist Herb Ellis' arrangement of this Benny Goodman/Charlie Christian number, and we added some twin guitar harmony parts with the guitar and steel, a western swing tradition.
2. Jersey Bounce -- Benny Goodman had a #1 hit with this big band tune in 1942.
3. Nuages -- This tune was written in 1940 by French gypsy-jazz guitarist, Django Reinhardt. We play it with a slow Latin feel.
4. Tiny's Tempo -- Jazz tenor guitarist Tiny Grimes wrote this tune and recorded it with Charlie Parker. I was inspired by steel guitarist Jeremy Wakefield's twin guitar version. We quote Bird's "Billie's Bounce" toward the end.
5. Tenderly -- Here's a beautiful ballad from 1946.
6. Panhandle Rag -- This uptempo western swing steel guitar instrumental comes from Leon McAuliffe, who played with Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.
Album photos by Chuck Interrante.
Album design by Adrienne Cremins.
Special thanks to Tom and Elizabeth Pittman.