These songs were written over a period of many decades, spanning from the late 1960's to 2012. They are songs from real and deep experiences of life, love, and loss. They are based on personal, parallel, and composite experiences that are both direct and universal.
In a certain sense, these songs may all be considered to be love songs. They depict love of life and its possibilities; love of vibrance and beauty in nature; love through separation; love that remains and continues to grow across time; love adjusting to decline; love during pain of anticipation of loss; love remembered and honored after loss; and even, facing in its starkness, acceptance of one's own final loss.
Throughout many dimensions of life, love, and loss, there can still be empowerment and growth and even triumph through enduring strength and spirit, still a sense for legacy of loved ones now gone whose legacy we can help keep alive to others, still a sense for what we ourselves can still give even when we are bereft.
May these songs speak to you in ways and during times when you can find and make connections to them in your own experiences of life, love, and loss, adapting and weaving the threads of your own unique tapestry in what ultimately is for all of us "like a whisper in time."
All the 13 songs were written and performed by Sarah Barchas, playing guitar and keyboard. Two of the songs were based on hummed melodies by Cecile Barchas. Roger King of RKM Productions in Tucson was production manager and recording engineer, and musician who played 2nd guitar and bass. The physical CD contains a 24-page lyrics booklet insert with beautiful cover photo by photographer Joseph A. Robbins, and with graphic design by Elizabeth Gething of Gething Design in Baltimore. The CD is 44 minutes long and could be shared across generations for listeners from ages 12 to 112.
Midori Hall, Acoustic musician, Music Instructor (Nov. 7, 2012): "Your CD will touch many lives and help them through their journey through life's many challenges, whether young or elderly.
Brief descriptions of songs:
1. Listen to the Flowers Sing (3:33) - Using one's senses and sensitivities to wonders in nature and need for caring and compassion in life.
2. Wild Horses (2:00) - The zest, beauty and spirit of wild horses with rich imagery and strong rhythm of motion, evoking universal need to be free.
3. Your Love is My Strength (4:48) - A love song through times of separation
4. After All These Years (3:22) - A song of enduring, long-lasting love that continues to grow through the years.
This song is ideal for tender reflection by loving couples, wedding anniversaries, repeating of marriage vows.
5. Arm In Arm (3:23) - The birth of a new calf and the closeness of loving ranch couple in their later years.
6. I'm coming to Terms (3:34) Needing to cope with major challenge and obstacle of unwanted change and decline in loved one or in self.
7. I Love You Still (2:51) - A song of sorrow and love after death of spouse
8. Loving You (2:52) - The beautiful melody was hummed by my mother, Cecile Barchas, who sang the two profound lines
in deeply felt remembrance of my father. She hummed it in her late 90's with her love for him still the core of her heart.
9. Touched by Windows of What Was (3:10) - A song of anticipation of loss yet with wonder for the gift of windows of clarity in time of decline; evoking need to hold to fullness of the life in memory.
10. Leaf of the Life That Is Mine (4:20) - A song of moving to end of life. The haunting first melody came from the humming of my mother, Cecile Barchas, at age 98, only months before her own life journey came to its end.
11. Cowdog Glen, Spirit of Life (3:51) - A song celebrating the bright spirit of zest, vitality, commitment, playfulness, tenderness, teamwork, distinct individuality of special beloved Border Collie dog in remembrance.
12. Reflections on Feeding the Birds (3:04) - Joy and legacy in feeding the birds, and need to retain character and integrity of the land.
13. A Whisper In Time (2:46) - Realization of the fleeting nature of time and life, knowing what we have while we have it, making life matter and giving to it before our life journey is over.