What is unique to this CD is that all pieces have been composed an/or arranged by members of the band. It offers a demonstration of how varied and diverse modern big band jazz ca be, from the serene and laid back sounds of 'CIA' and 'Taste of Tears' to the pulsating rhythm of Woody Shaw's 'The Moontrane', and the unmistakably latin pulse of Tony Hoyting's 'Samba Azul', it's all there!
The Stageband is a dutch big band of 18 amitious musicians and a director, looking for musical adventures. Part of the adventures is playing modern and progressive big band music from famous composers such as Bob Brookmeyer, Maria Schneider and Jim McNeely.
A significant portion of the Stageband's repertoire has been composed and/or arranged by musicians from the band. We like to challenge young composers to explore the possibilities of big band sound in new compositions. The exciting variety of big band sounds, the talent of top musicians and the blending of all these individual sounds into one coherent big band add up to a unique listening experience. Our soloists are given ample opportunity to create unique musical excitement in their improvisations.
The Stageband belongs to the very best the dutch jazz scene has to offer, and an impressive number of national and international awards bears witness to this.
* Conductor: Steven Sluiter
* Rhythm section: Bas Horstink, drums; Marco Kerver, double bass; Joost van der Beek, guitar; Tony Hoyting, piano
* Saxophones: Steven Paul, alto saxophone, flute, clarinet; Kees Krabben, alto saxophone, clarinet; Sergej Avanesov, tenor saxophone, clarinet; Sander Baan, tenor saxophone, clarinet; Harry Broekman, baritone saxophone, bass clarinet
* Trombones: Pavel Shcherbakov, Rosalie Brandsma, Felix Eilers; Enne Feenstra, bass trombone
* Trumpets and flugelhorns: Suzan Veneman, guest soloist; Libbe Oosterman, lead trumpet; Arjen Wassink, Marcel van der Sluis, Piotr Quee, Bas van den Broek