Swingin' Chopin, led by prominent Detroit area bassist and arranger Rich Kowalewski, specializes in adaptations of melodies from the Classical repertoire performed in American and Latin American styles. The band also features Detroit jazz veterans Kurt Schreitmueller (piano), Rob Emanuel (drums) and Joe Ivers (soprano and alto saxophones and alto flute).
Anne Seebaldt of the Polish Times says: Swingin' Chopin "Performs a unique twist on Chopin. `The project came about after I'd taken some of Chopin's classic melodies and arranged them in American and Latin American styles,' said Kowalewski. The intent was to make jazz and classical music more accessible. `I think they need something they can latch onto, a good melody. something that really draws them in.' Kowalewski's arrangements make Chopin's well-known Mazurka morph into a jazzy American swing piece; Fantasy Impromptu sings as a sultry Brazilian-style samba and the C Sharp Waltz has morphed into a funky American jazz/blues number."
1. Swingin' Mazur (Based on Mazurka Op. 7, No. 1 by F. Chopin)
3. Polish Monk (Based on Valse Op. 64, No. 2 by F. Chopin)
4. Frydek (Based on Etude Op. 10, No. 6 by F. Chopin)
5. Choro Chopin (Based on Valse Op. 69, No. 2 by F. Chopin)
6. Noturno (Based on Nocturne Op. 9, No. 3 by F. Chopin)
7. Samba Fantasy Impromptu (Based on Fantaisie-Impromptu Op. No. 66 by F. Chopin
8. Berceuse (Op. 57 F. Chopin)
Rich Kowalewski - Double Bass
Kurt Schreitmueller - Piano
Joe Ivers - Soprano and Alto Saxophones, Alto Flute
Rob Emanuel - Drums
Recording: Sound Shop Studio, January 28, 2013
Engineer: Josh Ford
Produced by Rich Kowalewski.
All arrangements by Rich Kowalewski except "Berceuse" by Joe Ivers
Mixing and Mastering: Kevin Holevar, Underground Productions
All selections by Rich Kowalewski
(c) 2013 Kow Rich Music, LLC BMI