"Doityourselfincrimination" is the solo debut of Mike Theiss (pronounced "tice"). Mike played all of the instruments on "Doityourselfincrimination," composed all of the songs and recorded, produced and mixed the CD by himself. When recording the album, Mike set out to give the recording the same spontaneous, organic, interactive quality that you will get with a live funk band.
On "Doityourselfincrimination", modern music technology is married with funky relics of the past to meld together a sound that recalls 70’s funk, while still sounding fresh. In addition to playing alto and tenor saxophone, Mike plays an assortment of analog and digital keyboards including Hohner Clavinet, Wurlitzer Electric Piano and Hammond organ.
A big fan of the many great horn sections in the Funk genre (The J.B.’s, Horny Horns, Kool & The Gang, Tower of Power, Earth, Wind and Fire etc.), Mike uses overdubbing to create thick harmonies, much in the same way that singers like Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and D’Angelo layer their vocals.
About Mike Theiss
- From 2004 to the present Mike has performed with Altered States of Funk in the Seattle metropolitan area. Altered States of Funk was voted the best Soul/R&B band in the Seattle Weekly’s annual music poll in 2005 and has performed at many regional festivals including Bumbershoot, The Bite of Seattle and the Northwest Folklife Festival.
- Mike is also featured on the Funkscribe CD "Synthesized Soul" with Garry Shider, Lige Curry and Michael Hampton of Parliament Funkadelic.
- Mike attended Berklee College of Music where he graduated with a degree in Music Production and Engineering in 1995
What people have said about Doityourselfincrimination:
"In general, I love the whole CD. It's not boring and it makes you think!!!
Good one Mike, Proud to know you."
- Bernie Worrell - Founding Member of Parliament/Funkadelic
"Old school butt-winding funk with a nastiness that would've made Bootsy scream 'DAY-AM!!!' - that's the essence of the Mike Theiss stee-lo. Spleen-melting analog bass, horny horns, head-snapping beats, and tighter-than-a-hamster's-butt production are the hallmarks of "Doityourselfincrimination" Dig it once, and you'll have a difficult as hell time keeping his tunes out of your player, Pod, or head!"
- Rafe Gomez - Radio/Club D.J. - The Groove Boutique/NYC