Tran Manh Tuan was born in Hanoi on May 7th to a family with a tradition in the performing arts. His father, mother and sister are all stage performers of the traditional "Cai Luong" (The Renovated Theater), a theatrical art based on song and dance, created in the South of Vietnam.
Yet he found his own musical love in jazz and has responded by becoming one of the leaders of the Vietnamese jazz movement.
While Tuan plays Jazz, Pop, R&B, his favorite is a combination of traditional Vietnamese music and contemporary music that brings to the music-loving public a feeling of unity and a common language. This music evokes love, breath and happiness.
• 1979 - Tuan started to play the saxophone.
• 1991 - Formed the "Orient Band" with a collection of local jazz talents.
• 1992 - The Orient Band won the gold medal in a national music competition held in Vietnam, earning Tuan the title of "Best Saxophonist in Vietnam"
• 1993 - Tuan's first solo concert at Opera House in Hanoi for over 700 people. Recorded and produced his first CD titled "Solo Saxophone Tran Manh Tuan"
• 1996 - Tuan became the first Vietnamese musician to receive a scholarship from Berklee College of Music, in Boston.
• 1999 - Tuan presented his second solo concert in Hanoi: "Jazz Flirts with Tradition II". One of the ten Vietnamese chosen by Vietnam Economic News to receive an award from the Ministry of Culture as "Best Teacher of the Year" (from both the Art and Music College of Hanoi and the Army College of Music). Produced his second CD titled "Loi Ru Mat Em".
• 2000 - Produced his third CD titled "Bien Khat"
• 2001 - Produced his fourth CD titled "Ha Trang"
• 2002 - Took part in the Music Festival in Singapore and European Jazz Festival II in Vietnam.
• 2003 - Produced the fifth CD titled "Ve Que".
- Took part in the III European Jazz Festival
- Taught at the Ho Chi Minh City Conservatory of Music and working as composer, producer, arranger and saxophonist.
• 2004 – Opened the fisrt Jazz Club in HCMC ( Saxn’art )
- Took part in the IV European Jazz music Festival.
• 2005 – Touring in EU & USA – Took part in the V European Jazz music festival. Met and played with Herbie Handcok & Wayne Shorter when they visited Viet Nam.
• 2006 – August 20th release two new albums
Jungle Lullaby & The Shadow of Time
• 2007 – Touring in France with Mezcal Jazz Unit and traditional musicians.
Touring with Adam Klipple & Drive-by Leslie
and Dana Leong Band from New York.
• 2008 – Release two new albums
Drifting Blossoms, Floating Clouds
Body & Soul
• So far Tuan has released 8 solo CDs, and has collaborated with many well-known Vietnamese singers. He has received many music awards for his talent and for taking the voice of Vietnam and Vietnam TV and also for his performances to students.
He has performed in many countries including France, Germany, the United States, Holland, Russia, China, Thailand, Singapore, and many more. He also had chances to meet & perform with Drummer Manu Cache, composer and pianist Rob Mullins, Singer Stephan Echer, Singer Co Co York, pianist Mike Del Frerro, Six Sun Band, We We We Band, the Bill Head Trio, Infolio Band, Jazzisimo Band, Mezcal Jazz Unit, Bassist Harvie S, Saxophonist Hans Dulfer, Saxophonist Fulvio Albano, Felix Slovacek Big Band, Guitarist Alfred Simms-Protz, singer Jennifer Ryan, pianist John Ferguson, recently with Herbie Hancock & Wayne Shorter when they have been visited Viet Nam,Dana Leong Band, Adam Klipple & Drive by Leslie Band and others.