A brief summary of each song:
1. For the Empress-- Orphan invites others to join musical troupe for unprofitable adventures.
2. Putnam Silt Loam-- Incest and class conflict thwart lovers. All die.
3. Spite the Sky-- A river bird feels unvanquished, seeks redress.
4. Tin Trombone-- Disrespect of musical instrument leads to fratricide.
5. Against Moontide-- Starving couple choose infant exposure.
6. Mark Twain-- Young people skip stones, make love, lose.
7. On A Train-- Bereft chases after deceased, meets athletic nun.
8. Silver Skin-- Big questions from a small child.
9. Del’s Prayer-- Weary pilgrim demands immediate sign.
10. Helen-- Sweet picnic, with aftertaste of apocalypse.
11. Grace-- Spared man prays over his supper.