In October 2013 Australian Jazz Trumpeter Greg Englert traveled to Modesto, California to join The Twisted Piston Rhythm Riders for an unprecedented night of fun and festivities. The Pistons include legendary American Banjoist Kurt Abell, Tubist Keith Baltz, and classically trained Pianist Athens Abell, for a night of red-hot jazz at the Mediterranean Market and Grill.
This album contains 12 tracks recorded that night with all the atmosphere of that wonderful venue captured for all to hear including, many laughs, bloopers, wonderful audience reactions, birds tweeting, and even a Modesto ambulance siren!
Most importantly, this album is filled with fantastic music! From Kurt Abell's amazing banjo solos and silky smooth guitar, Athens Abell's sultry, seductive vocal, to Greg Englert's internationally acclaimed Louis Armstrong style vocals, and the 'out of this world' Sousaphone magic of Keith Baltz, this album reaches a crescendo with what must be, one of the greatest recorded versions of King Chaunticleer.
This is one album every traditional jazz lover must have!
1. Indiana (Hanley & MacDonald) – Public Domain
2. Darkness on the Delta (Symes, Neiburg, Levinson) – Chappell
3. Some of These Days (Brooks) – Public Domain
4. Baby Face (Akst & Davis) – Songwriters Guild of America
5. All of Me (Marks &Simons) – Sony/ATV, Marlong Music
6. Baby Won’t You Please Come Home (Warfield & Simons) – Public Domain
7. Mr. Sandman (Ballard) – MPL Music Publishing
8. Chinatown (Schwartz & Jerome) – Public Domain
9. Do You Know What it Means (To Miss New Orleans) (DeLange & Alter) –Songwriters Guild of America
10. Happy Feet (Yellen & Ager) – WB Music Corp
11. King Chaunticleer (Ayer & Seymour – Public Domain
12. What a Wonderful World (Thiele & Weiss) – Larry Spier Music
Recorded at The Mediterranean Market and Grill, Modesto, California, USA
10 October, 2013 by Elizabeth Englert, Mixed at GEM Studios, Sydney, Australia
Twisted Piston Rhythm Riders:
Kurt Abell – Banjo, Guitar, vocal on tracks 4 and 10
Keith Baltz – Sousaphone, vocal on track 12
Athens Abell – Keyboard, Guitar – track 3 and 7, vocal on track 6
Special Guest – Greg Englert – Trumpet, vocal on tracks 5 and 9