The Irish & Celtic Music Podcast is a free, bi-monthly, downloadable radio show of independent Irish and Celtic music. It is hosted by Marc Gunn, lead singer of the Brobdingnagian Bards and The Dubliners Tabby Cats, chief editor of the Celtic MP3s Music Magazine, proprietor of Song Henge, and a fan of all things Celtic. If you're looking for Celtic MP3s or music online, Marc Gunn is probably there.
ORIGINS OF "VICTIMS OF IRISH MUSIC"
Last year, I borrowed a book from harper, Doc Grauzer, for casual reading about the history of Irish music. In the book, the author explained that many Irish musicians were forbidden by Britain to play the music of their heritage and suffered the consequences for disobeying. But the concept seemed to have greater depth to me as an independent Celtic musician.
Music has evolved a lot since those days. Styles have changed. Dylan went electric. Enya changed the whole concept of "Celtic music" to many in the United States. While I enjoy all styles of Irish and Celtic music, I feel that in order to know where you are going, you should know where you came from. Our cultural heritage is important, as is our musical heritage.
This album includes a wide range of acoustic instrumental music. It is not all traditional, but it is an exciting glimpse at how 21st century independent Celtic musicians are keeping tabs on their cultural heritage. It covers a wide range of musical styles by bands who refuse to allow their heritage to be victimized.
If you are love your Irish heritage, you can show your love of it with this captivating and energizing compilation of amazing music. A portion of the profits benefit a non-profit cultural organization, but all of it supports the heart of our Irish heritage.
1. "Cooley's Set (Cooley's Reel,/Sporting Paddy/Toss The Feathers)" by Wild Clover Band from Behind the Blarney
2. "Sleeping Under The Tables Set" by Kennedy's Kitchen from A Pocketful of Lint
3. "Lannigan's Ball/Rambling Pitchfork/Tar Road Sligo" by Cady Finlayson from Harp and Shamrock
4. "Staten Island Hornpipe/Morpeth Rant" by The Jolly Rogues from Captain Billy's Privateers
5. "The Gneeveguilla Reel/Drag her Round the Road/The Golden Keyboard" by Arabesque from Glen Road to Cordoba
6. "The Boys from Blue Hill/Cherish the Ladies" by Bow Triplets from One Spot On Earth
7. "Princess Royale" by Thomas "Doc" Grauzer from Infernal Harp Racket
8. "Chicago Trippin up the Stairs by Boston Blackthorne from Better Late Than Ever
9. "Rocky Road to Brenham" by Celtic Stone from Digital Traditions
10. "Geordie Lad" by Vicki Swan & Jonny Dyer from Thumb Twiddling
11. "Old Grey Cat" by Marc Gunn & The Dubliners' Tabby Cats from Irish Drinking Songs for Cat Lovers
12. "Congress Reel" by Poitin from Live!
13. "The Road to Lisdonvarna/Morrison's Jig" by Vince Conaway from Distractions from the Muse
14. "Polkas and Slides" by The Tea Merchants from The Tea Merchants
15. "Banks of Spey/High Road to Linton" by Highland Fling from Highland Fling
16. "Campbell's Farewell to Red Gap/Newcastle" by Bedlam Bards from Furious Fancies
17. "The Skylark/Humours of Tulla/Lucy Campbell's" by Culann's Hounds from Year of the Dog